9:20 PM

Nuts and Bolts :  Building My Foundation

I wanted to share with you some of the "new" habits I've been working on.  I think it is important to secure a strong foundation in anything we are attempting to build upon.  For me, healthy eating is/has always been something that I realize the importance of but have failed 
to always make it a priority.  

On January 1st,  I began eating a diet based on lean protein, seafood, eggs, TONS of vegetables, plenty of heart healthy fats, and some fruit.  I made it a priority to stick with foods that had very few ingredients and consume as many whole foods that are natural and unprocessed as I could. 

At first this seemed near impossible.  
Almost daunting.  
I thought, how in the world am I going to pull this off.  What about my family?

However, I began searching for recipes and created a Pinterest board to inspire me.  We talked as a family and vowed we would avoid eating fast food and restaurant 
visits for the ENTIRE month. 

Just 31 days.  We were committed.  

Of course I didn't want my children to feel like this was a punishment or that they were being deprived in any way.  We talked about our "why" and explained that the occasional trip to a restaurant was still okay, we would just safe it for special occasions.  

I began writing out my list of recipes for the week.  Created my grocery list, and then did the UNUSUAL (for me)...I meal prepped for the week.  

In all my past attempts to "eat healthy" I had never prepped to this magnitude.  I had every lunch, and a couple dinners prepped and ready for the week ahead. 
 It took about 3 hours the first time.  
It has since gotten MUCH better. :)  

I was feeling ON FIRE.

I make sure to eat a high protein breakfast of REAL food -no bars, no shakes, no go-go juices.  I love eggs and so does my family.  Lucky for us that is a breakfast staple that no one tires of.  Also, it is easy to be creative adding other herbs and veggies to eggs to change up the flavor.

Then there is lunch.  It isn't a simple salad with bland dressing.  
(I LOVE salad, but I knew I didn't want to burn myself out and eat one ERRRRDAY.)
Instead, it is a pre-prepped, pre-portioned size of protein and my favorite veggie(s) that have been pre-roasted in the oven and pre-portioned out.

***I bought some awesome containers that are portioned into three sections.  
The largest section is reserved for the veggies, then there is a section for protein and one more that can be used for grain or EXTRA veggies :)
These containers have been KEY to my organized, pre-prepped, and 
portioned, easy to heat and eat meals!!!

I make sure to plan ahead dinner choices as something my entire family can enjoy together and even have extra for their lunches another day throughout the week.  So far, there have been the occasional misses but there have also been just as many HITS with surprised eyes as the kids try something that they were SURE they would hate.  This foundation of healthy food choices is SO important for my children.  I have always strived to make sure they have lots of veggies and fruits to eat daily, but I know it is also my job as their parent to secure their foundation in healthy eating and instill habits that will help them have a positive 
relationship with food as they grow.

So, I promised you the Nuts and Bolts, right?

Well, there is it.  Nothing fancy.  Just eating as much REAL food as I can.  Being conscious of portion sizes -but not fixating on every last ounce.  I've tried to use some of my smaller dinner plates when I fix my plate rather than the normal PLATTER size that I used to mound.  I'm trying to listen to my body and pay attention to how I FEEL when/after I eat certain foods.  I need to feel full and the foods that I'm consuming have all be very nutrient dense (NO LONGER MCDONALDS) that I'm very satisfied.  I make sure to get in three  
meals a day and a couple snacks.  

So....all this is working for me NOW.  I feel like I am focusing on a healthy food foundation.  That is what is MOST important for me at this stage in my journey.  It may change as I go. 
 I'm ok with that!  
At 34 days in, I celebrate the fact that I have't had any fast food (MY VICE).  
I'm celebrating that I've cut out my addiction to sugar and all things that would 
lead me to CARB COMOTOSE!  
AKA:  Donnets, cookies, AND ANYTHING THAT LOOKED LIKE IT MIGHT BE SWEET.) :)
I also celebrate that as a family we have started sharing our meals at the table more often 
and in front of the TV less often.  
As a family we are trying new foods and learning to be flexible.

Now, JUST because my approach and my healthy eating foundation looks a certain way, doesn't mean yours will resemble mine at all.  We are all so individual that I encourage you to commit to taking the time to evaluate what you're eating, what you're wanting to eat, and 
listening to your body.  
Not every day is going to be perfect!  I'm NOT perfect.  
But, I'm trying hard EVERY day to establish change and reconstruct my foundation!  

How is this method different from my eating habits of the past?
I tend to be a very "ALL OR NOTHING" kinda gal.  This can be ok, but it can also be detrimental when failure of trying to DO IT ALL, leads me into settling on defeat -NOTHING.

I'm in the process of slaying the dragon DEFEAT.
I'd say so far, I'm winning this battle, with the help of my Lord.
  However, DEFEAT is a big one ...
and I know it is going to take more than 30 some days to slay this beast!!


The Lord is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him.  Psalm 28:7




Here is a recipe idea I've used (you can change up veggies to your likes) for meal prep!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images